Review Your Plans in 2019
A Checklist to Help You Get Started
It’s important to review your estate plans regularly to ensure they still accomplish what you want them to, and to make sure they reflect life’s changes. Events like births, marriages, even new tax laws, should all trigger a review of your estate plans.
This year, make reviewing (and updating) your plans one of your new year’s resolutions. Our checklist can help you get started.
- Review Your Will. Check for any changes that may need to be made because of a change in your life or because you want to add a charitable gift to organizations you care about, such as Macomb Community College Foundation, in your plans.
- Confirm Your Executor. Make sure the person named is still the qualified individual you want to manage your estate, resolve claims and distribute the designated portions of your estate to your chosen beneficiaries.
- Update Guardians. Make sure you are still comfortable with the guardian named in your will for those under your care. If your dependents were minor children that are grown now, does a guardian still need to be listed?
- Review Your Beneficiaries. Make sure the beneficiaries you have designated for your insurance and retirement plans are up to date. Once you’ve named someone a beneficiary, let them know so they can claim the proceeds.
- Check Your Power of Attorney. Make sure your durable powers of attorney for financial and health care are current. Provide a copy of your financial power of attorney to the named person. Your health care power of attorney will need a copy, along with your health care provider.
If you have questions about your estate plan, or are interested in including a gift to support Macomb Community College Foundation in your plans, please contact Brianna Bentley at firstname.lastname@example.org or (586) 445-7302. We are happy to help.